Music is my Meditation

 

Do you ever think about meditating on God's truth for you life and wonder how you're going to ever make that seem at all enjoyable?

I have a brain that doesn't focus on things very well if they don't grab my attention better than anything else in the room. If you can read and not get distracted good for you. But if I'm going to try meditating on the word I usually need tools more interesting than black text on a white pages.

This is a recent discovery, knowing my brain is different that the majority of peoples.

Also a recent discovery is Jillian Edward's album Wonder.

There are some devastatingly beautiful songs in there which really speak to a need in my soul for emotional healing. The lyrics speak truth to my brokenness.

My church have been going through a series on prayer. An important point that keeps being repeated is that prayer is conversation, not just us talking to God and perhaps asking for what we think we need. Part of it is listening.


So why not consider worship music, God's word being spoken in song, as part of our prayer life.

Not only does it have the actual message in it that will always be good to be filled with but often there is a specific song that I find God lays on my heart for me to soak up repeatedly.

I don't know about everybody but I am familiar with hearing a certain line or verse of a song and it speaks to me right to my core. It hits me emotionally.

I often avoid listening to any music that might make me feel things because of how that can stop me from getting other things done. I either find it distracting or being emotional can be tiering physically and mentally draining so I have to be carful when I spend time in this way.

But another thing to consider is that sometimes that's a wound that is being healed,. Why then don't we keep taking the treatment?

Knowing that I need to be filled with God's truth and that God may be healing me through it I have to consider finding time to listen to the music that speaks to me in that way.

I'm not saying I've figured out when is the best time for that, if some sort of regular schedule or just having those songs play on repeat for an extended time.

I just want to encourage you to consider that when you don't know what to pray it might be the time in the conversation when you should be listening to God. One of the ways we can listen is through reading his word but we also don't have to read it, we can listen to it.



If you haven't heard Jillian Edwards album Wonder I pass on to you the recommendation. Here's the playlist on YouTube.

Image by whoalice-moore from Pixabay 

Comments

Popular Posts